Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has released details on how the new two-step Canadian study permit approval process will work for international students.
This process will allow international students to start the semester online without a finalised study permit, said CIC News.
It is available to students starting a programme in the fall semester who submit a study permit application before Sept. 15, 2020.
International students will have to submit the following to obtain a study permit:
- Letter of acceptance;
- Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (for Quebec students only);
- Proof of funds;
- Proof that they can leave Canada when they no longer have legal temporary or permanent status; and
- Any family ties to Canada;
- Immigration officers will assess these applications and issue pre-approval at their discretion. International students can begin studying at this stage.
To get the full study permit and eventually be able to travel to Canada, international students will need to submit:
- Immigration medical examination
- Security-Police certificates
IRCC also announced last week that it is providing a fast-track study permit process for students who have submitted a complete application online to ensure that permits are processed as quickly as possible.